Tuesday 24 September 2019

"Get a Real Job, Poker is a Waste of Time," the Mom Said to Her Son

No comments
Can someone really make a living playing poker? Apparently the answer is yes, but before you get too excited about all this, you must realize, it's not an easy game to master, and there are all sorts of interesting folks which play the game, many are stellar performers, actors, psychological manipulators, and brilliant at deception. Indeed, I know quite a few who are incredible players and so let's discuss this shall well?
Not long ago, a new acquaintance asked me about his poker playing exploits and asked if I thought it was a worthy pursuit, you see his mom told him that he needed to "get a real job, poker is a waste of time," and who am I to debate his mom. After all, she knows him better than I do. Nevertheless, in college I dated a girl who played poker and didn't have a job at all, she was very good, and always had plenty of money, she did well.
Now then, in all fairness, I wish to disclose that I do not play poker, but I understand the allure - and no, I don't think it's a waste of time, and neither does Bill Gates right? There are important skills, and tactics to win in that game. Some neuroscientists believe that humans have such a large brain due to their use of deception, keeping track of the webs they create, and as troops, tribes, societies got larger those with the largest brains were able to get to the top of primate politics, and evolution favored those with the ability to keep track of it all.
Lots of interesting issues when it comes to such card games, I kind of like three dimensional chess myself, business is a lot like poker, so too is war strategies as they evolve from political impasse. It's an interesting skill set. The art of negotiation is a lot about the game of poker and it uses similar skills as well. So, no Mom, I don't think it's a "waste of time" but yes, perhaps depending on your son's skills at the game, maybe he might need to get a "real job" someday? Please consider all this.

No comments :

Post a Comment